Centenary School Teachers Below / Photos of pupils (year picture taken unknown).
AT Crossroad Bistro
It’s family that supports us and grounds us in what truly matters. That’s why at Crossroad Bistro, we’re all family here.
History Of The Bistro
Photo of the former Centenary One-Room School and information.
All Photos from The Gallia County historical society
On page 131, Volume 82 of the Courthouse Records, it is recorded that the School Board and Trustees of Green Township paid F.M. Blazer the sum of $50 for 83/100 acre of land on which the old Centenary School stood. This was signed on October 29th, 1906.
Later in Volume 115, page 473, the Board of Education made a deed to the Trustees of Green Township for the sum of $1. This was signed February 23th, 1935. Again the Trustees of Green Township made a deed to the Board of Education for $1 for land located in Section 9 on Fairfield-Centenary Road near the intersection with State Route 141. The Plat Maps of Green Township confirm this location as well.
At the end of the 1933-34 school term, the school was closed, and the pupils went to a new three-room building located on Route 141 at the intersection of Lincoln Pike.
The Centenary Grange purchased the building and later attached the old Northup School building onto it. They held their meetings there until the organization dissolved. The building was rented to the Swan Creek Church who eventually bought it. Before the present Green Elementary School was completed, the overflow of pupils at Centenary School was housed in the one-room school building.